Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Slight Tangent

I mentioned that if I find something interesting or get a request, I would write an article or tutorial about it. Well the latter has happened, kinda. I often spent time in the C/C++ forums at 3DBuzz.com. Ostamo2, a fellow member, recently brought up a tutorial I started a few years back.

This tutorial covered packaged files, that is collecting a number of files and packaging them into one. I only covered bitmap files but I plan to fix this by re-writing it.

The idea is to use Visual Studio 2005 C++ Express Edition to create an easy to uses package system. This means a GUI packager and class for uses in other programs. I'm still working on which file that will be supported files to be viewable in the Packager. Bitmaps and Obj files as I've done them before.

If anyone has any request for file types or know of any easy to use libraries for file support, please let me know in the comments.

I'm current working on designing and creating a decent package class, and hope to have console based tutorial up in the not to distance future, but it might take a while to finish the final program.

thing2k

3 comments:

Ostamo said...

how about maybe a binary format as well as a text based format

thing2k said...

Any you wish to recommend?

Ostamo said...

well obj can be the text based
and then.....i guess any binary based 3dmodeling format
3ds or some other game format i guess